Friday, August 12, 2005

Ah, nostalgia!

There are countless things that I do not miss about living in Wisconsin. You can keep the boredom, the football obsession, the driving, all that.

What I do miss most of all--second to weather--is the food.

I don't just mean regional cuisine, I'm talking all types of food. Greater Milwaukee is one of the places where companies like to test market products, so we would get everything under the sun before they went national (if they ever did). It was a shock to my system when I first went to Los Angeles and saw that the grocery stores there had less than what I was used to in Wisconsin.

Sometimes, I go into a supermarket here in New York and I just feel sad for the shelves that will never know the beauty of holding Crystal Pepsi, 4 flavours of Jolt Cola, and Diet and regular Vernors all at the same time and even 3 separate sizes. Needless to say, beer and dairy products require at least 4 aisles.

Don't even get me started on the various things we've had from the fast food restaurants over the years.

Why, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, oh why did you have to publish a State Fair article on Cream Puffs vs. Brownies? It's just not fair when I'm stuck out East all August.

No comments: