Thursday, April 21, 2005

Do You Remember What Happened to Piedmont & PSA?

US Airways and America West are looking quite set to merge. In a way, it makes sense because they do not overlap each other for the most part: US Airways is big on the East Coast; America West is big in the Southwest. Yet, when Republic (remember them?) was cobbled together you had a big airline in the Great Lakes, and big airline in the South and that union didn't last too long before it was gobbled up by Northwest Orient.

If this merger happens and sets off a whole bunch of consolidation in the airline industry, then I pray they'll bring back regulation or even nationalisation. By the way, what is taking Continental, Delta, and Northwest so long to announce their inevitable merger? As much as I quite like Continental and Northwest (I've barely flown Delta, save for that ride at Walt Disney World), I really could see a merger between the three of them actually work.

No comments: