It's after midnight on what is now technically Wednesday morning, which means that this is this week's installment of the Splash post-mortem. Tonight was a pretty good night actually. An extremely handsome and charming bartender (Hi Joe, if you're out there) said that I had a pretty face before I even placed my order...so you know he was getting the lion's share of my money. (Listen, I only drink twice a week and I average 6 beers at Splash.)
Anyway, as regular readers might know, my sole raison d'etre of going to Splash is to see music videos and there were some doozies tonight, I tell you:
- Some awards show performance of Usher, Mya, and Whitney Houston singing THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS out of Michael Jackson's "Got to be starting something." Worth noting for the fact that Usher was wearing some sort of fur thing slung over his shoulder, Mya got suspended in the air flashed her panties at the audience and really did nothing else, and Whitney looked really skinny. (She's still popular with the gays though, a very audible "woooo" came across the bar when she made her entrance.)
- As embarassing as this might be to admit, Rick Astley was quite the posh sex on a stick in his heyday. Some extended version of "Together Forever" played and I can tell you I forgot all about the uncoordinated big haired dancers behind him and was just taken in by his suave, pasty self. I loves me some Rick Astley. (Helps that he & I share the same birthday.)
- "Pump up the Jam" is one long, boring video...much more than I remember it from when it originally came out. Seriously all it consists of is one big frizzy haired black woman dancing and possibly lip-synching the lyrics interpersed with some dancer.
- I sympathise with the woman singing back up in "Church of the Poison Mind." She just gets two brief shots in the video, yet you remember her voice more than anybody else's.
- Jake Shears is skinny! Or at least he looked rail thin in the video for "Take Your Mama." He was a go-go boy? Was his ex-employer not picky? (I do actually like Jake Shears and his political stances, I just had to mention this because...well, if you mention that you used to be a go-go boy you shouldn't be surprised if you get comments like that.)
- There are dance mixes of The Killers' "Somebody Told Me" and for Michelle Branch. I guess on some level I'm not surprised, but at the same time...geez, is everything up for dance remixing now?
No comments:
Post a Comment