Tuesday, March 03, 2009

ESC 2009: Sweden Sweden Sweden

Why must everybody talk about Sweden?

Well, certain things are inevitable in Eurosongland, and media/fan focus on Melodifestivalen is one of them. Honestly, I'm glad I don't have the time to live blog Melodifestivalen anymore, plus the fact that SVT doesn't make it easy to watch it.

Still, you cannot ignore the Melodifest this year, when it features the return of Alcazar (pretty much guaranteed to win it or at least come 2nd):



And the bizarre agitprop theatre that is Star Pilots nicking certain 1980s pop songs (Waiting for a star to fall and Eye of the tiger), but being smart enough to fuse them together in the same song.




And then there was Markoolio, who sang a comedic ballad poking fun at Eurovision cliches. It didn't make it to the final, which is a shame.



Proving that MF results MF-ing bizarre, EMD (I've never heard of them, but Swedes have) managed to beat almost dead certs Bodies Without Organs in their heat with this weird fusion of electropop and Broadway choreography:



BWO's You're Not Alone, which looks and sounds like a cut scene from Xanadu.



There, I've said my MF-ing piece about this MF.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

abba is sweden's most impactful contribution to music (which is, in my opinion, a very negative impact).