Thursday, September 28, 2006

The CW11 Morning News: If Robots Did The News

In general, I have a preference for a local news show over a national one. I tend to find the local news shows full of more personality and quirks instead of shine and gloss. You would generally think that a show in New York would be personality amplified.

And for the most part you would be right, except for this one.

For starters, maybe it's me, but it is a bit bizarre that the Morning News seems to have a virtually all-female anchor team, the only male being co-anchor John Muller who looks like an android version of Richard Carpenter. Male or female, neither of them could muster a smile beyond a grin or get their voice slightly above monotone. Even the entertainment reporter, Emily Frances, sounded like she would rather be somewhere else...which is the kiss of death in entertainment news.

What I find interesting is that no one has any chemistry with each other. Now, I'm not saying that the have to be a "morning zoo" type of show with comedy galore, but this is a group of people who don't even seem like they want to be there. Even the people on the abysmal Wake Up Milwaukee act like they like each other.

Morning News gets some injection of life when Dr. Steve (late of WNYW) comes on to talk about health, and boy does that say something if medical news is more interesting than anything else.

Morning News is so dull that they provide a rundown on the station's website of what they will be talking about and when they will do it. The menu today does not bode well for me: Tracey Ullman, a preview of Open Season, and The Doodlebops--a children's group that tortured me on Today sometime ago.

I may very well have to break my vow and cut this short after one hour. I can easily envision that two hours of this would put me in a foul mood for the remainder of the day.

The more I look at this show, I start thinking what does this show remind me of. It doesn't sound nor look like a New York morning show, in fact dare I say it, this is like KTLA, the Los Angeles CW affiliate that seems to suffer from the same monotony, but is undeniably Los Angeles. This is LA television in New York, with no personality.

Some minor interest comes from meterologist Linda Church's malfunctioning computer--which she threatens to burn, but she decides to stall for time by relating inane weather facts. (Mike Woods does not even do that.)

Again, I'm reminded that this is the first (read: showcase) hour, when everyone supposedly has their A-game. Emily Frances's A-game is apparently a clip show of the characters from Open Season. Oy.

Julie Chang comes on with her "Truly Julie" segment. Today's segment is about kid inventors. I cannot begin to tell you how boring this show is. It even makes me wish for the horrifying NYC TV shows on WNBC every late morning.

At this point, I am now 6 minutes away from changing over to The Early Show. (Yes, I said it: The Early Show seems more promising than this.) The final nail in the coffin is a teaser about Star Trek memorabilia.

On deck: Good Day New York or Good Morning, Upper Eastside Queens

No comments: