Sunday, June 07, 2009

My God...I'm Leaving Just As This Place Is Getting Good

There are things I thought I would never see come to fruition in the US that are happening now:
  • A black president
  • Government ownership (temporary, but still) of several major corporations.
  • Politicians and the public actually making a concerted effort for increased accountablity for high-ranking executives.
And guess what, it's hitting Hollywood too.

Anyone who has ever studied or even looked at the entertainment industry from a financial perspective knows that it is a money pit, the depths of which are only escaped by Churros bought at Citywalk, an apartment building going with GE for its appliances, Miley Cyrus going on tour, or that new billboard on the LIE. 

Greater financial transparency in respect to the entertainment industry could unleash a wave of humility in an industry where humility is a cardinal sin. 

I do not expect this to be a radical overnight change, but perhaps instead of trying to get several overblown popcorn movies and shows that subidise the bombs, we might see a more balanced slate of entertainment wherein both the aim and reach is more measured: Are not several modest successes made with modest budgets not as valuable as 2 gigantic super hits that make up for a slate/season filled with turkeys? (Or should I say "peacocks?")

I am not saying that my vision is the likely outcome, but the fact that we have Variety telling all these execs that they aren't immune from the national mood is quite mind-blowing. 

I have to pity them on some level, because the ones who would be leading the angry mob are the actors, and after the SAG battle and the WGA battle, there are some seriously pissed off creatives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the next few years in the u.s. will be very interesting indeed. there's the potential for some substantial change in the social, economic and political spheres.