Monday, September 14, 2009

Shadows from America

Shadows that I thought I had long forgotten, namely La Perry.

I am fortunate (if not blessed) to be living in a country where no one gives a toss about La Perry and his media machine, and for the most part it is great.

Yet, my disgust of La Perry did fuel me creatively with my own dramatic works. A recent article by Mark Anthony Neal in MSNBC's The Grio, hit the nail on the head for me in regards to my artistic relationship with him:

"Perry has placed a mirror up to our collective image and if we don't like what we see, we need to move beyond simply complaining about what Perry is doing."

Whereas before, I would likely treat news of another La Perry movie debuting at #1 (in the US) with same disdain that I reserve for Fox News, I just feel pity and feel fortunate that I am in a place and in a position where my work and works of other black (both Australian & American) writers are not judged by the Perry juggernaut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i would love to see a detailed demographic profile of tyler perry's audience.