Thursday, October 08, 2009

Oi, Producer

Perhaps people reading this in the US have heard about the controversial skit on the Hey, Hey It’s Saturday reunion and Harry Connick Junior’s reaction to it.

(In case you haven’t here is a link to an ABC News post regarding it.)

I am not going to add fuel to fire, because the issue ignites both nationalism and racism, pushing rationality to the side.

I just have to wonder what kind of producer would think that it would be wise to have that sort of act on a show which featured:

Not to mention the aforementioned Connick Jr.

A bad call by the producers, not only for content, but for also failing to realise that in this day and age that everything is both global and local at once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's very telling that nothing was said about the whiteface. it shows that the cultural baggage is associated with the blackface.

Hikaru said...

It's also very telling that few Australian networks have delved into how much of a struggle the US has had (and continues to have, in my opinion) in terms being able to get past this era.

I hate to quote Rodney King, but the phrase "Can't we all just get along" is harder [and rings truer] in the US than in other places because we all come from such diverse backgrounds and there are so many of us [Americans, non-hyphenate] that we really have to learn to accept our differences.

I think if the Australian public knew how much Americans have fought to make all of us feel included and the price of it, then perhaps the reaction would be different.

At least that's what I hope.

Everything's global and local these days.