Although the Gannon scandal and other evil behind-the-scenes machinations of the current administration should be receiving this amount of press, I am actually glad that the government is investigating to abuse of steroids in professional baseball. The fact of the matter is that these athletes/guinea pigs are woefully overpaid to produce "shocking" results on the field. Performances which could not be done without the benefit of steroids.
Basically, the thinking of these players seems to go along the lines of: "If I inject the steroid into my rear, then I'll get bigger, which will allow me to hit the ball further, which will give me more money."
On some level, fair play to them for wanting to take the money and run, because no sane person would look up to professional athletes as role models. Nonetheless, there are times you have to save people from themselves. This is why medical experiments are regulated. This is why there is an FDA (a highly de-fanged FDA these days, but still an FDA).
I would be extremely pleased to see this system of setting up these men to become genetic freaks broken down. The fact of the matter is that it might have a subsequent effect with the vain men that go to the gym. This past Tuesday, my trainer pointed out the higher amount of huge men at the gym, the reason for the upswing in numbers being that it is time for the spring cycles.
You've seen these men, the ones who are so huge that they are out of proportion. Any time that you see someone so huge that they waddle. Probably juicing. Somebody who can't even seem to bring their arms to rest by their sides? On steroids. Somehow we've created this culture that says that it's better to look extraordinary for 5 years, and pay for it in medical problems for the rest of a lifetime. These hearings might just be a way to reverse that trend.
2 comments:
I never liked the man breasts. I miss the androgynous look of the 70s.
Naah. Give me that period in the late 1990's when the grunge boys cleaned up, but weren't quite metrosexuals.
Post a Comment