Friday, February 23, 2007

The Eurovision 2007 National Final Season Not Quite Half Point

Take a look at the list of participants over at esctoday.com. Shockingly, not that many countries have chosen and the cutoff date in Mid-March is rapidly approaching.

But what of the ones who have chosen or close to choosing? Well, I reckon we most likely have not heard the winner.


  • Moldova: Eh. La Podolskaya did the same thing but better in 2005.
  • Malta: Surprisingly good. Perhaps longtime MSFE bridesmaid Olivia Lewis will go all Lena Ph in Helsinki.
  • Israel: Not chosen. I like the selection of songs, although Twelve Points is more of the annoying supposedly "ironic" crap that Lithuania inflicted all the way to a top ten finish last year.
  • Poland: Yes, they're a La Bouche knockoff, and the song unnecessarily slows down in parts, but it's strong.
  • Netherlands: Yes, yes, yes. It's weaker than Hemel En Aarde, but one of the strongest songs chosen so far and will probably be in better shape in May.
  • Switzerland: Vampires Are Alive? Christ on a stick. That said, Switzerland will likely get into the final if they don't throw everything but the kitchen sink at it. I mean, good grief, that video!
  • Slovenia: If they decide to go all gothic and moody like Omar in 2005, then it'll stand a good chance. That said, one of the members of the team behind this came up with Claudia's entry from 2004. I think he doesn't know how to do dark, moody, and yet uptempo trance when it comes to staging...and he terrified all and sundry with his mugging for the camera, frankly.
  • Belarus: Belarus in Eurovision Final Shocker. Who cares about free press?
  • Belgium: No one has heard the song, but The KMGs sound like the Belgian answer to Corduroy and that is a very very very very good thing. (Update: Heard the song, it's very Corduroy meets Earth, Wind, & Fire--and it's damn good. Dark horse of the year.)
  • Norway: On some level, I know the EBU is very happy not to have a band called "Dusty Cowshit" in play this year, and frankly, I didn't care for their song (but then again, I live in the US where that stuff is two-a-penny and there are several 24 hour channels playing that ad nauseum). Anyway, onto Guri, who did win: Not bad, but not spectacular. That said, not bad and not spectacular got Denmark to the final in 2005. Apart from 1999--which was a fluke, in my view--Norway traditionally does decently during their uptempo years (see 1998, 2000, 2005).
  • Albania: Nope, not going to happen. Will fall flat like a stone.
  • Latvia: Not chosen. No Madara Celma, no interest from me.
  • Cyprus: Based on the tiny snippet I heard this is going to be a francophonic synth and guitar masterpiece. Evridiki will hopefully outdo Carola as most successful returning alumni. (Update: Heard the full version and apart from one awkward dramatic pause, it's still an excellent synth-and-guitar assault. If Evridiki allows herself to let herself go absolutely crazy onstage--like La Vissi was trying--but not quite succeeding in--last year. She should do the business. If she doesn't get out of the semi, then I reckon even I will be able to hear the snarling from Evri and the Cypriots thousands of miles away. I'm still cowering in fear from La Ryan last year.)
  • Iceland: Dima Bilan's entry last year as performed by Vincent of Beauty & The Beast fame. Eh. (Age has been mean to him)
  • Estonia: Good, very good. In the Estonia versus Finland stakes, I side with Eesti and La Padar. (Although I would've liked seeing Vanilla Ninja's ode to heroin addiction.)
  • Denmark: All this time and Denmark has only now gotten around to selecting a drag queen? I mean, it's Denmark! Strong, but slots are few and this is on the edge.
  • Macedonia: Not chosen. If they're wise they'll go for 1,2,3 and hopefully gather votes that aren't from the diaspora. (Seriously, I heard the song and immediately thought "mass appeal.")
  • Andorra: I have no idea. They say they're a punk band, but the song is called Save the world. I suspect that there won't be any humilating choreography this time around for the Andorrans.
  • Croatia: Not chosen. Do one or more of the Feminnem girls have a sex tape? Does Luka Nižetic? I can imagine all the puns that will be flying around if Ness gets the nod along with Spain going for NASH. All that said, I reckon it's a toss up between Feminnem and Luka Nižetic (though I'd rather have Angels go all Vanilla Ninja for Croatia and get the nod), neither of whom stand a strong chance of getting out of this year's Qualifier of death even with a striptease.
  • Czech Republic: Not chosen. Underdog status might get them to the next round.
  • Bulgaria: Bulgaria's holding a final this weekend? Who knew? Seriously though, no real stand outs this year, but I have a suspicion that Bulgaria will actually get through. (Update: They've chosen and it's the one song I can remember, Voda, which is features lots of drums and vocalising. Good choice.)
  • Montenegro: Not chosen. Not likely to make it to the final either based on what I've heard, unless one of those entries has an amazing floorshow planned.
  • Serbia: Not chosen. Based on the snippets I've heard, Serbia will go to the final, especially with Negativ, but frankly, 80% of the songs in Beovizija could do that job. Perhaps Beovizija will become the Balkan MF?
  • Georgia: Not chosen. Sopho's got an amazing voice, which combined with underdog status will probably propel Georgia to the final.
  • Romania: Blech. Cloying sweet ditty that really needs to go away soon. There will be enough variety around so that they can't bank on the cute and inoffensive vote.
  • Ireland: See Romania.
  • Finland: See Moldova strangely enough. Although La Podolskaya's effort was co-arranged by Finns. Hanna just comes across as a whiny brat singing this, not angsty. Like Ashlee Simpson.
  • Lithuania: Not chosen. As much of a Eurovision fan I am, the Lithuanian selection is too complex and big for me--or frankly, anyone who values their social life--to handle. Wake me up if Saules Kliošas get the nod.
  • Greece: Not chosen. That said, it's very possible they'll tie or do 1 place better than La Vissi with any of the three (though Sarbel or Christos might very well do a Constantinos circa 2005, and Tamta's song will need to steroids to get noticed).
  • Germany: Not chosen. Hamburg 2008? Not going to happen. It's just a question of how close to the top 5 or how far below the top 10 Germany will be.
  • Spain: Not chosen. Blissfully ballad-free final and god knows if they pick NASH or Nazaret and camp it up, Spain might shockingly win it.
  • Sweden: Not chosen. Nanne has to fight to get out of the Second Chance round (odds are she will). The Ark are proclaimed virtual winners (although from a song standpoint: why? And yes, I've heard of them. They get occasional airplay on LOGO), and now we've got another "semi of death" this week with After Dark's poptastic ode to masturbation (my favourite) up against "New Yorker" Andreas Johnson, and "Janis Joplinsson" Caroline af Ugglas. Andreas and Caroline will probably get the tickets, After Dark and Magnus (the 1970s are over?) will have to fight it out in second chance. The Ark, Nanne, and Sebastian (again: why?) go into the blood bath of a Melodifestivalen final voting, with The Ark barely edging it out and Sweden in the Qualifier in 2008. (Unless Nanne or Caroline win it and Sweden stays in the Final, but won't win.)
  • France: Best selection for France in years. I'm hoping for Les Vedettes, but shockingly even the song from Les Wampas doesn't grate my nerves.

Still left to chose without even a snippet coming across: Bosnia-Herzegovina (I'm not a ballad fan, so I'm skeptical), the UK (will the hype pay off? I dare say it will), Portugal (very dark horse, especially with Finland having won and RTP getting very serious about it), Austria (ha!), Hungary (chose a ballad at your own risk), Armenia (destined to follow in Albania's path if they don't do the logical thing and get Colton Ford & Cher), Russia (you just know they're planning something big, perhaps Michel Lucas & Nichya), and Ukraine (which sounds like it's practically guaranteed to Verka Seduchka, not good for them with DQ a strong contender for the final, and if After Dark surprisingly get the nod...well, that will lead to some drama and cannibalising votes).

I'd check out packages for 2008 to Brussels, Moscow, Manchester, Barcelona, or Lisbon, if I was a betting man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disagree on the Albanian entry as it's sincere and original, never mind the neighbourly votes it will be sure to get..

And still countries have negative song messages, will they never learn? Finland's "Leave me Alone" will be a call for just that. Baffling how little people study for these things. Remember Macedonia's "Make my day, stay away" or Russia's "Beleive me, I just don't care" how good tunes will be ignored because of it. Who wants to see good looking people in a joy-fest telling them to get lost? bah..

And quite right about Vanilla Ninja's true message that year although the girls likely had no clue what they were singing about.

Anonymous said...

Although Belarus seems to be very hyped this year,I'm hoping his performance on stage will really hurt his chances (and from what I saw on Mision Eurovision...)

And I also think Albania has a nice song.

Nice seeing someone actually betting in Portugal, I actually think our "Festival da Canção" might be pretty good.