Namie Amuro has two new videos out, and from a technical standpoint they're good.
but...
Well, they're tied to this Vidal Sassoon campaign about 1960s/70s style (maybe 80s as well), and she's sampling Motown.
Not only that, she's sampling The Supremes and Aretha Franklin. BIG HITS (Baby Love and Rock Steady) too...in Patricia Field costuming no less.
Now, I am happy that more people will be exposed to these songs (well Rock Steady at least, I think there might be a few people out in the Amazon who have never heard Baby Love), I just...I don't know...it seems a little too calculated and shallow. You be the judge. Admittedly, I'm a curmudgeon.
Bonus: The February* Video Blog featuring my reaction to Ms. Amuro's homage.
* I'm trying to do these on the first of the month, but this particular February 1, I'll be traveling, so it's best to get it in early.
7 comments:
looks like the two videos that you linked to have been removed. instead of the video, there is a box that says "content rejected" -- which i'm sure is not intended as a comment on the quality of the music or the video.
the whole "meta-watching" thing (i.e., watching a video of you watching a music video) was kind of fun. i can't recall having seen anyone else do that sort of thing before.
Well, in lieu of Dailymotion's rejection, the links are now updated, so the judging can resume!
i'm still having trouble getting the videos to work.
Duly readjusted.
wait, i foung the video on youtube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=od2aAWquNjs
not bad. the production values are pretty high, which helps to overcome some of the silliness of the english dialog. and the music is fun, too.
uh, "foung?" make that "found."
just watched the "new look" video and i like it, too. i'm a sucker for light and breezy.
i'm not sure what to make of the mannequin-like back-up dancers, though. the full-body black stockings they're wearing is a little reminiscent of blackface. but it could just be a fashion riff on the ipod advertisements or the (much older) shadows used to sell diamonds.
Post a Comment