Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The New Season: FOX

Alright, News Corporation Propaganda Arm, make me care about you*:
* Out of courtesy to the other networks, I'll keep my critiques limited to just the Fall premieres.

  • Do Not Disturb: Now this show has been getting lots of promotion. The idea is basically a retread of Faulty Towers, with Jerry O'Connell as Basil and Niecy Nash as Sybil, except they aren't married. This show is interesting in that it started out with O'Connell being the one with the show resting on his shoulders, and Nash just part of the ensemble. Now they are hyping up Nash as much as possible. Even more interesting is that I reckon that even if the show fails (and the odds are against them, let's be real), Nash's star will continue rising and O'Connell gets no career boost. Worth watching if only to see if there's any on-set tension spilling out into the performances.
  • Fringe: This is just as confusing as next year's Dollhouse, but at least it's being promoted that way. At the risk of turning people off, I am going to go out on a limb and say that if anyone can do drawn out make-it-up-as-we-go-long series, it's J.J. Abrams. The man made a show about a lovelorn college student extremely complex, engaging--complete with time travel--and it still seemed believable. I'll definitely give it a shot, and I reckon it'll stumble into another season. (Hell, Prison Break is still on.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

precisely because of fox news, i refuse to watch any fox tv show that isn't a cartoon.