Not that it should be necessary, but just to underline the point: Yes, I am voting for Obama.
Yet something is amiss.
He doesn't stir me in any way shape or form. It's more case of he's the Democrat, I vote in Wisconsin, Wisconsin is generally a swing state, so voila.
Yes, I understand the importance of the first African-American nominee. I'd be a fool not to note it, but where is the genesis of the hype? (Personally, I have mixed feelings about the Obama = MLK connection, but I'm not the target audience.)
Or have some (not necessarily all) just finally come to the conclusion that the issues most always be more important than the ego?
I've watched the main speeches so far, and while my vote is a given, I find the issues and the plans for the future more stirring than anything else.
I find more solace in the upcoming Congressional elections rather than the Presidental ones, because at least I feel that these issues (health care, education, THE SINKING US DOLLAR) are going to be addressed. However, it seems oddly befitting of our indirect "my vote is really just a suggestion, if you don't mind" presidental electoral system, that we are being obsessively courted by both political parties to vote for a figurehead. (We just happened to have a really ignorant figurehead with several Machiavellis behind him for the past 8 years.)
The true power remains in the collective cacophony that is Congress, and that is where the true battles will be fought, it is where the most innovative ideas will be hatched, and it's where we will have to be vigiliant against the enemies within.
Sometimes I reckon that when we tossed the British out, we made up our minds to have a nation founded on being (irony intended) bloody minded at all costs.
3 comments:
I wonder if the media made up the MLK connection as a way to undermine Obama. Meaning, he's a modern messiah but ultimately not president material. and what he wants to be is president.
i completely agree that a parlimentary system is a more effective form of government.
Don't hold your breath for congress as they've been toothless and asleep at the wheel for a long time already. They were supposed to stop the Iraq war early but did not, how many lives is that in real terms? And they are supposed to stop the big brother laws but signs them without reading before going on holiday.
The power is with the lobbyist and the money men and arms is still the most lucrative. Eisenhower was right about the danger of military corporations influence in his farewell speech but alas no internet to heed the warning in time. Obama will undoubtedly argue for more conflict when assigned with Biden, a corporate Delaware politician. Obama has anyway given undying love to apartheid Israel and we all know that is the root of the Arab anger to begin with which means more on Iran.
Real democracy is what we need, not some archaic roman system that easily allows for corruption.
Post a Comment