Saturday, October 21, 2006

Space: So What?

I was watching Wanda Sykes's new comedy special recently and she said that the space programme was "welfare for really smart people, who are so smart that they are worthless." The more I think about it, her comments really reflect the sort of ambivalence that many people have today over Space in general. I have no problem admitting that I'm pretty ambivalent about it as well.

The funny thing is that a lot of my own writing style and character development was inspired in great part from Leiji Matsumoto and especially Yoshiyuki Tomino's space operas, even though I don't write anything that has a science-based theme. A few days ago, I was wactching several old anime TV opening sequences, and it is interesting to note just how the use of space has gone from something that inspired awe and whimsy in the 1980's to being rather anonymous in the present day.

Note the way that it's presented in the opening for Bismark.



And several years later in the 2nd opening for Zeta Gundam.




Compare those with these two opening sequences from Gundam Seed & and its sequel Gundam Seed Destiny (2002 & 2004, respectively):





Who'd ever think that anime sci-fi would start turning inward?

No comments: