Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Splash-View Post-Mortem: Who said weirdness was limited to the 31st?

For starters, I want you to imagine the opening theme song to Galvion playing on a loop when you read this, because that's exactly what I was doing.

First, let's begin at Splash, because I did. I have come to an interesting revelation about The Cypriot. He makes sense when you are talking with someone, because I wound up chucking my observer routine tonight due to a very eager Spaniard* who engaged me in conversation downstairs. It's hard to focus on what others are saying when someone is feeling up your calves, and that's all I'm saying. The Cypriot came in to take my drink order at just the right lulls.

* I don't know what it is with Spain, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, but apparently the locals are very intrigued by American blacks.

After the Spaniard left, I made my way upstairs where there was a HUGE backdrop with the logo for BETJ. I want you to process this for a second: a backdrop for BET's Jazz Channel was at Splash, one of the whitest bars in existence even on its "ethnic" night. (Seriously, it is, especially with this new "Ocean" theme.) Unfortunately, I never got a chance to ask what the connection was, but rest assured that for the remaining 2 drinks I had there I was trying to figure out why it was there. All I can come up with is that it is possible that BETJ was plugging Dance Diva #8907 in whatever way possible.

It certainly attracted a very...um...scenester crowd. Apart from the odd man who always dances at Splash with his herky-jerky reaching movements (if you've been, then you know who I'm referring to here), there were a few groups of Noah's Arc clones swaying to the various songs, eager to dance, but too self-conscious to actually go onto the centre of the dancefloor.

Normally, I would've taken that as a sign to do a runner to The View, but since Shequida bought me a shot (why, I do not know) , it seemed rude to do so. Plus, I am trying out those Chaser hangover pills tonight; so, I reckoned I could play with fire to some degree. Not to mention, the weirdness of seeing a group of gay white men congregate around a sign for BETJ was worth it.

Duties complete, I made it over to The View, which was relatively tranquil and playing music videos by that time. After hearing the young, kind bartender go on about his lovelife (unsolicited, I must add), I got involved--against my nature--in being the kindly ear to a man go on about the differences between '70s gay life and present and the subsequent parallels between that and modern black gay life. I get it, no need to remind me.

By time La Ryan's "Alive" came on, I knew it was time to go. Midnight or Kate Ryan, I always say.

No comments: