Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The View Post-Mortem: We Are All Living In A Global Los Angeles

Before I get to the crux of this post, one side note: Out of curiosity (and partly inspired by Q), I am trying Marlboro Lights this week. Let me tell you, if you ever want to make a menthol smoker quit altogether, put him or her on these things for a week. These are some of the harshest things I've ever had. Hard to believe that at one point Marlboro was marketed as a woman's cigarette brand.

Anyway...

The Oughties are all about Los Angeles, I reckon. I stumbled across this while watching "4ever" at The View after they played "Walk Away." I started thinking: "where have I seen these looks before?" Then I realised where I had: in No Doubt videos from the mid-to-late nineties.

The Pimp My Ride subculture? Los Angeles.

The Rockabilly/Ska look combined with punk? Los Angeles.

The Grrl driven Power Pop? Los Angeles (and not Seattle, need I explain to you the difference between Hole & Bikini Kill?)

Los Angeles is now the arbiter of fashion, attitude, and social mores for the Oughties--at least based on what pop culture suggests.

Perhaps it's the 15 minutes of fame obsession that has rocked the country since 1999?

Perhaps it's the resignation that global warming will reduce most of the US to 70 degree weather year 'round?

Perhaps it's the Hiltons?

All I know is that it appears to me that Los Angeles is now in control of the zeitgeist, and it now has the responsibilities that come along with it (like Seattle/Portland did in 90s, New York in the 70s & 80s).

I have no idea who'll be in control for the teens. Maybe it'll be a really unexpected place like Phoenix.

By the way, no matter how much I like Good Day LA, there is no way I'm decamping out west. I'm riding out the four season lifestyle for as long as the climate allows.

No comments: