Friday, April 27, 2007

Eurovision 2007 Preview Review: F is for Fun Times, G is for Go On With Your Bad Self, and H is for Hellcat on Wheels

The Preview Critiques continue! (Watch the actual previews at Eurovision.tv)


Finland: Hanna is moody. Hanna is either smoking or in a very cold room. Hanna checks her makeup. From what I gather, this is her style of music, but she comes across as too precious to sing it...like Victoria Beckham covering Motorhead. It's an alright video, even if La Podolskaya did the East Village-chic to better effect in 2005 (although it was woefully inappropriate for the song). By the way, if I'm very indifferent on Hanna, it's because I was for Lovex at Euroviisut.

France: Granola rock comes to Eurovision and it's from France? The Singing Pony Tail and the Picards talk about his sexual conquest (in a British accent no less) in a pink room, while interpersed with photos and scenes with said conquest and peculiarly shots of them at the French National Final. The latter gives the song a bit of a Superstar (in the Neil Sedaka/Carpenters sense) feel. It's oddly endearing, but in the video stakes...it's no great shakes.

(FYR) Macedonia: National final performance!? After the brillant, atmospheric video Karolina had in 2002 this is a bit of a letdown. No warrior dress for her this time. Instead, La Karolina (I know the proper "La" is with her surname, but umbrellas are hard to do when you have to repeat the name several times) is wearing either hot pants or a miniskirt while talking about her "all." Meanwhile, her backing dancers limber up in the background. Now, understand that I like La Karolina when I say this, but...taken as a whole, it makes me wonder if the song is a tacit reference to Sweet Charity.

Georgia: Listen all you national broadcasters, little Georgia did a second all new video to coincide with the new songtitle. So ha! It starts out with a couple doing some modern dance moves on a hill. Then Sopho (the Caucasian Bjork if you will) looks all meditative while graphics swirl in the background. I. AM. LOVING. THIS. The dancing couple gets more aggressive in their moves as the music swells. With all these lush geographical shots, it almost seems like Miyazaki film come to life. Current front runner on Hikaruland for best preview video.

Germany: Live performance, but that's the standard German protocol with Eurovision previews. (Although, given the lyrics, I would love to see what they could do with an actual all-new video.) Anyway, Roger throws slightly smoldering glances and coolness while the band plays in the background. It does the job, but from the video standpoint: kinda so-so.

Greece: Greece does Grease. (And why is 2007 the first time they've thought of that connection?) "Danny" Sarbel looks at his "Sandy" and arches his eyebrow. (Meanwhile, I just roll my eyes.) Then they do You're The One That I Want 2007 version. It's very nicely done, just...corny.

Hungary: Magdi is PISSED! Oh, she is fit to be tied. Remember how La Vissi went balistic last year in the preview for Everything, Magdi tops that for one reason: she's going to destroy his place and doesn't care if she looks good while doing that. A close runner-up for preview of the year, as it really makes me curious as to what the performance on the night will be like.

Next time: I is for Irksome, L is for Laconic, and M is Mealy. (This might be a hard slog for all of them save for Israel.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes awesome effort from Georgia, very pro all round.