I promise I'll be back soon on full-tilt duty, but between fighting a flu, and working on a play...well, something had to fall by the wayside.
In the interim, here are three Japanese popsters that I've stumbled across recently. In a perfect world, they'd be as popular here as they are in Japan.
Now, I've already salivated over Misia (there is a funny video on Youtube of a high-as-a-kate Erykah Badu praising Misia), but here's the full video of her song Escape, which has rather downbeat and somewhat absurd lyrics in contrast to the upbeat music, then again the video is somewhat absurd (in the artistic sense) as well:
Next is the legendary rock duo B'z singing their 1991 hit Alone, another prime example of why a good ballad should make you feel like the burden of life is too much by the end of it. I have to admit I was surprised by the choice of wearing UWM clothing in this live performance:
Arguably the Japanese Madonna, if only for longevity of career, Akina Nakamori covered Alone in her Utahime 3 album back in 2003, in a very minimalist way making the song even more bleak--a good thing in my view. Alas, I couldn't find a video for it and I'm not savvy enough to create one. Instead here are two videos of Akina.
The first is her performance of Southern Wind in 1984, very fresh and idoled up.
Finally, here is Akina in 2001 performing another one of her Eighties' hits, 1/2 no Shinwa:
Thanks to all the hard-working fans who put up the videos, translated the lyrics, and designed the websites.
No comments:
Post a Comment