Saturday, August 23, 2008

Friday Jukebox Goes Danish (part 1)

With all those reports about Denmark being the happiest country in the world, I reckon it's time for a Danish Eurovision prespective.

1981: Denmark sends Danish Tommy Seebach and the US-born Debbie Cameron with a bouncy song about racial harmony.



1983: Denmark sends a perky woman in fashinonably ripped clothes to tell us that the world is spinning.


1984: Danish group Hot Eyes begins their 2 year run of representing Denmark. The first entry pretty much sets up the formula: do a 2-step to a happy synth beat, and a key change.


1986: Trax (supported by Danish dancers with rickets) tell us we are full of lies, even fact we're real all out scummy, but at least she's doing it to the jauntiest beat imaginable.



1988: Hot Eyes is back, and Kirsten is heavily pregnant. Whether there's a running gag here or not I'm not certain, but the song's title roughly translates as "Can you see what I said?" and it is sung by a chastising pregnant woman...




1989: Denmark gives perenninal Melodi Grand Prix runner up Birthe Kjær an ode to graffiti.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

after watching the videos and listening to the music, i don't feel any happier. so, perhaps it's not their music that keeps the danes at the top of the happiness list.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Denmark seems to vote up the good singers even if the songs are boring lately, but I still hum 2004 'Shame on You' every now and then.