The CW is like Fox in the late 90s: trying to shock everyone while actually really just doing variations on the same theme: Teens seemingly behaving badly. (All that depth in characterisation that the old WB teen dramas had is g.o.n.e.)
Driving this point home is a resurrected 90210, to which I have to say: why? The show only went off the air 8 years ago, and I just see this falling flat. (By the way, why didn't the CW wait 2 more years so the show could have a premiere date of 9/02/10?)
Then there's the pointless Privileged, which seems to mostly ride on the whole Gossip Girl bandwagon. I don't know about you, but how can this show be of interest to any sentinent being? Idealistic young woman become tutor to 2 self-absorbed brats in "Palm Beach." Sounds more like a low-ranking TV movie from the 1960s rather than enough to base a whole TV show on. It's like a very shallow version of Up the Down Staircase in reverse.
In Harm's Way sounds like it was aiming for the Discovery Channel but wound up on the CW instead. Apparently the network thinks no one else has seen early evening basic cable.
Since the CW is living in a timewarp, they have also come up with Valentine, which seems to channel both the failed series Cupid and The Addams Family. I see another bomb here as well.
Finally, the network bizarrely rips off ABC's Dirty Sexy Money, which is not exactly setting the Nielsens on fire, with Easy Money. All I have to say is that Laurie Metcalf must've been hard up.
The CW: You ignored them before, you'll ignore them again.
1 comment:
the premiere date you propose -- 9/02/10 -- is brilliant.
i can't think of one show on the cw that i've ever watched. of course, i'm probably not the demographic they're shooting for.
Post a Comment