Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Importance of Same Sex Marriage Comes Home

While I have always been in favour of Same Sex Marriage, it never really hit home for me until this past Winter when my fiance (at the time, boyfriend) was hospitalised with double pneumonia and septic shock, further complicated by his HIV.*

* We are a sero-discordant couple. He is HIV+, I am HIV-.

Every day, I had to fight to get information on what was going on in respect to his health. While I figure that a heterosexual would be in the same position (at least in New York), it made me realise that in the future, were he to be hospitalised again and we were married, I would have little legal protection to ensure I was kept informed.

You see, at the time, I was also dealing with my mother's battle with breast cancer (which is in remission and likely to stay that way). In that situation, as a family member, I was privy to every bit of information and had strong legal protection.

I feel fortunate in that in both situations, I had no one else with an ulterior motive trying to keep me out of the loop, but many do have to deal with that.

Now that we are engaged, we are moving to a country where the situation is similar, but the chances are higher that it will change to an equal footing...although it is not going to be smooth sailing at all.

Nonetheless, it is sad and unacceptable that some couples in California may have to consider leaving their homes and lives in order to be treated with dignity and respect.

I reckon that I am preaching to the choir here, but in the chance this post may reach someone who will be voting in California, I strongly encourage you to vote No on Proposition 8. It is a matter of equal rights, and equal respect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a tough situation to be in. obviously, the illness of the loved one is highly stressful. but to have to deal with being kept out of the loop just makes a bad situation worse.