Thursday, February 10, 2005

A Temporary Halt (For A Reality/Mortality Check)

I'm temporarily breaking my vow of not getting majorly irritated because I am livid.

I cannot stand sanctimonious ex-smokers. Just now, I overheard some man lording it over someone else because he (the insulter, not the insulted) gave up smoking and saved so much money that he spent it on shoes, a trip to Amsterdam, and marijuana. Oh yes, I'd like trade in one legal carcinogen for an illegal one. Smart move, buddy. He also cited that he know fully enjoys breathing in the fresh air when he runs.

Ugh. I could care less. Listen, I'm glad that things are working out for you in your quite hedonistic little world sans-tabac, but need I remind you of "judge, lest ye be judged?" I have willing agreed with the non-smokers banning it in bars and restaurants. (I don't like it, but I have cooperated.) I have willingly agreed with the tax hikes that still don't cover the budget shortfalls that they were created for BECAUSE YOU HAVE MADE IT SO HARD TO SMOKE.

The fact of the matter is that I smoke because I choose to. I continue it because I chose to. And if I wind up dead at a young or younger age, it is because I knew that going in. We are all going to die at some point period. I can say quite easily right now, that if I was to be struck down with lung disease or a smoking related illness, that I would accept it. I would not go whining "woe-is-me" to the hilltops. I have lived a very happy life so far, and if it ended with this, then so be it. If it goes on for years to come, then so be it.

The most pathetic and tragic thing in the world is someone on their death bed who realises that all the holistic endeavors they took were for naught, and my experience has taught that most people in the world go out like that. Conversely, I will remember that I had happy moments and I never tried to hinder them, even if they came in the form of nicotine.

No comments: