Wikipedia defines sexual narcissism as such: Narcissism is the pattern of characteristics and behaviors which involve infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition.
The reason I bring up narcissism, is that I've been bouncing a crackpot theory recently (inspired by a horoscope that told me that it is "time to think of [myself] first") : Is narcissism itself its own sexual orientation?
Looking at online hookup websites and also just observing interactions in public, I'm beginning to believe it. My barfly self sees it occasionally in both bartenders and their patrons, both of whom strut like peacocks to look the most presentable and lustful to others in order to reaffirm themselves of their own value. I do not believe that this is an exclusively gay thing either. I am certain people on all sides of the sexual orientation spectrum notice this as well. It is the faux cutesy voice, the low-cut or sleeveless shirt. To be honest, we all have our narcissistic moments, myself included. The type of narcissism that I'm mentioning here is when it becomes so much of a factor in daily interactions (as described above) that it does affect how and who one interacts with.
So how is it its own orientation? Here's my theory:
Think of the gay-for-pay "phenomenon" in pornography. Men who identify themselves publicly as heterosexuals have sexual acts with men with clear erections out front and centre. Now, although I've never been on a porn shoot, I know that there are sometimes heterosexual porn films playing in the background, as well as men and women on set who serve as fluffers. Still, this occurrance does make the mind ponder. Monetary issues aside, what is the driving force here? Is it a latent bisexuality or homosexuality? Or is it that the desire to see oneself as an object of lust overrides any hardwired prejudices? I think it is mostly the latter.
It is rare for most of us to receive a substantial amount of accolade on a daily basis. If that wasn't the case, then the self-help pop-psychology industry would go out of business overnight and Dr. Phil would be off the air. Just like we need food to survive, we also need compliments. Some people need it more than others and they seek that fuel out in any way possible. This desire, I believe, can reach across sexual orientation because it becomes less about the gender of your partner and more about what you perceive that partner sees you as.
Now, although I'm making an argument for narcissism being its own sexual orientation, I hope and pray that it actually never becomes recognised as such. Narcissism is quite frankly, a sociopathic state. In fact, I think the majority of the problems that society is really stem from the fact that myopia is running rampant.
That is all, reckon I.
3 comments:
Sorry for the off-topic, but I just wanna say how glad I am to see I'm not the only socialist fan of the Eurovision LOL ;)
As to narcissism, now even "assexuality" is an orientation.. everything is possible ;)
You're defintiely not alone at all, boss.
your best article yet... love it. i'd love to see a part II to it.
Post a Comment