Monday, July 31, 2006

The 590th Post Manifesto

I had an epiphany this weekend.

While many gay rights activists seem to say that we are focusing too much on marriage to the detriment of other areas, I tend to believe that we're not. I believe that marriage rights are only part of a goal that we need to implement in order to get full equal rights in this country.

(That's not the epiphany.)

I'm not in any way shape or form the first person to say this, but I want to put this out here on this little piece of the internet in the hopes that someone will read this and perhaps do this.

Today/tomorrow/this week/this coming month, write the following at the end of an email or a post you make on either a blog or a message board:

"Protect Marriage. Ban Divorce."

While on the surface that is a very marriage-rights thing to say, I offer it as a way of protesting against the absurd world we've been living in for the past 6 years.

- The NSA can follow your every movement without your knowledge or even with good reasoning.

- FEMA plays favourites with who they choose to save.

- The electoral process has been hijacked by cronies.

- A budget surplus has turned into a deficit.

- A tidal wave of goodwill has turned to animosity.

And many other nonsensical occurances that have come to fruition.

If you believe that we are living in times that make no sense, then I suggest that you write this at least once in a public way--especially as a non-sequitur--to show the world where you stand.

You don't have to explain it, just let it sink in.

Protect Marriage. Ban Divorce.

No comments: