Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Monday Jukebox Says The 80s Were Good To Me

It is a true shame that I was quite an oblivious child in early 1980's.

Example #1:

The Gap Band and Charlie Wilson's swagger--which to be honest he has every right to do (if you catch my drift)




(And let's not even get started on the video for "Party Train")

Example #2

The Opening animation for Daicon IV featuring ELO's "Twilght"




My first exposure to this piece of anime history was at AnimeCon '91, when I was 12. (I survived one more anime convention after that, then decided to keep my otaku-ness mostly to myself, for the sake of preserving sanity.) This short pretty much encapsulates everything that I love about film, television, theatre, and animation: whimsy. It's a shame that whimsy is now chained up in the attic being served table scraps every fortnight.

Example #3:

Philip Michael Thomas: R&B Singer




I just discovered this video and song. Let me tell you, I have no clue that PMT--hahaha--was hot as hell in his prime. The whole Miami Vice craze basically was lost to me, given that I was in elementary school at the time and my parents would've sooner checked themselves into an asylum than let me watch it. Yet watching this, I'm completely baffled as to how Don Johnson got the most press as that show's sex symbol.

Another thing: who knew PMT could sing like that?! He's no Charlie Wilson, but damn he comes close (and beats Don Johnson's acrid pop song by a country mile).

Only on this piece of the internet could you get The Gap Band, a bunny girl sci-fi fantasia, and Philip Michael Thomas all in one post.

1 comment:

BostonPobble said...

I remember I was So Hot for PMT in the 80s ~ and all my friends thought I was crazy because they liked Don Johnson. Silly, silly people.

The anime piece makes me want to don a Playboy bunny costume in order to go kick ass and save the world while wearing high heels!

Thanks for the smile.