Thursday, May 29, 2008

That Lawsuit

I understand the appeal of wanting to right the wrongs after "a dream vacation" got off to a bad start.

I understand the desire to supposedly make a statement against poor airline service.

Yet, I do not understand the point behind suing for much more than you are out-of-pocket for.

That is greed, full stop.

You are not making a statement, you are purely being greedy.

It also begs the question of how much value do you place on the vacation rather than the people you travel with.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the dollar figure used in a freshly filed lawsuit is purely notional. no one ever expects to get what they initially ask for. instead, the opening number provides a starting point for negotiations (and the larger the starting number, the larger the final amount may end up being -- which puts pressure on the defendant to settle quickly). in this case, the million dollars also serves to grab headlines -- which is another way to pressure the airline into settling the dispute (so that the bad press goes away). but still, the guy suing the airline is a bit of a tool.