Friday, February 13, 2009

Fearless Leader: Trisha Goddard

I have been spending my down time here in Australia reading the biography of talk show host Trisha Goddard, who I really only knew as the black woman who took over Vanessa Feltz's talk show in the UK during my college years.

Well, consider me newly schooled. 

Apart from the fact that she became the first black presenter on Australian television, her life was quite remarkable before she even got in front of the camera: including a stint as a wife of a closeted right-wing politician, flight attendant, and survivor of domestic abuse as well as an air crash. 

Her autobiography, called As I Am (which does not delve into her recent battle with breast cancer) is most likely not to be found at US outlets, but if you can scrounge up a copy, it is certainly worth it, as Goddard is very candid, frank, and avoids new age speak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good read.