Monday, July 11, 2005

I guess it's good

Apparently we're getting the first black gay & lesbian talk show: The Herndon Davis Reports.

Who?

My thoughts exactly. I have never heard of this man before reading the report on 365gay, but Herndon L. Davis wrote a "controversial" book called Black, Gay, and Christian. Considering that it's been over a decade since I've been in a church, no wonder I have no clue who this man is. Unfortunately, his show is not going to be available here, because it's only going to be available on Comcast and DirecTV. So I'll be spared the gay version of Tavis Smiley, thank you very much.

I kid because I love. But honestly, I'm holding out for LOGO's Noah's Arc to get my fix of black gay life, whenever the hell they choose to name a premiere date.

On a semi-related note, I'm now plowing my way through Down for Whatever by Frederick W. Smith. It's a real mixed bag, I have to say. The quotes are excellent--especially those on the (perceived) gay racial hierarchy, which are spot on, but the plot? Jesus wept. I mean, I'm halfway through and I don't care about half of the characters. They're all either uptight, whiny, deluded, or slutty. Now, I am the last person to decry sluttiness, but I like some flavouring with it, you know? Mix it up a bit, make them a slutty alcoholic or what have you. All that being said, I do like the Rashomon style of making each chapter from the perspective of a different character.

You rarely ever see my favourite archetype (and personal role model) in books, which is, the intelligent slut. I'm talking about the kind of guy who can go from spouting out where Marx was right and Keynes was wrong (and vice versa) to a XXX Titan video gang bang in no time flat. Now, that would be interesting.

1 comment:

Pookie65 said...

I've had a lot of fun with the AFA's and CWA's petitions to block Logo from "infiltrating their christian homes". It pays having 10 or so email accounts and being able to change the personal message before sending them :-)