The UK selected today and...well, I'll just say that if Scooch had top 20 hits in 1998, then they must've flown right past my TOTP viewing self.
I was for Big Brovaz in all honesty, since Cyndi's ballad did nothing for me and the bar is always raised extremely high when it comes to me liking a ballad.
Nonetheless, this is a year where the middle is rising and I guess that Scooch is the middle in this case and in a Scooch versus Cyndi superfinal, I'd vote for camp over Sominex.
That's the funny thing about 100% televoting, you have no one to blame but yourself or your neighbours. (49% of the US electorate has been living with that for the past 8 years.) All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the UK Selection goes internal or 1 singer/6 songs next year.
Anyway, all songs competing in this year's Eurovision are now all known, and we come into the eye of the Eurovision hurricane where nothing happens save for remixing and shooting the stray video or two.
I'm going to stand by my Eurovision goes West prediction, buoyed by the fact that I really like the Russian entry (even though it's a Sugababes/Pussycat Doll knockoff with nonsensical lyrics--then again what Russian entry has made sense post-free language? Why else would they have a visual free-for-all with the staging every year?) and songs that I really like never ever do better than 4th.
If I was a Belgian, French, German, Spanish, or Swiss television executive, then I'd tell the accounting department to start crunching some numbers.
Interestingly, I think this year the Final will actually be more entertaining than the Qualifier.
No comments:
Post a Comment