Both of the local New York gay newspapers have a very (and telling) story about GLAAD's exclusion of the two gay networks from their annual four-part kiss-ass--I mean gala that was recently held here in New York.
That's right, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, our watchdog that supposedly tells the media when they screw up homophobically and applaud them when they get it right is excluding both of the 24 hour all-gay, all-the-time television networks airing in the US from its annual ceremonies that honour gay representation in the media.
The absurdity nearly speaks for itself.
I'm damn near shocked that The Blade is carrying the story, but I guess their broken clock (as in the thing that is right twice a day) department was allowed some fresh air this week. This is made even moreso interesting in that the coverage is in the Editorial section. I think this quote here (no pun intended) gets to the meat of the story:
Perhaps GLAAD could create special categories specifically for LGBT media. But by now (sic)allowing that, GLAAD might as well state that our LGBT stars and media talent are not glamorous and famous enough to make a difference—or that they won’t warrant “mainstream” attention and ticket sales.
The Blade actually taking a stance against homogenisation? Shocking, I tell you.
The Gay City News's Doug Ireland brings it all into focus by viewing this misstep/bigoted self-loathing move within the context of the state of gay television. Ireland is biting and unfailing in his criticism, and the fact of the matter is that for the most part it is warranted.
Some of the greatest and most creative minds working in media today are gay and why aren't they being allowed to flourish within this new media context? Some might say it's because they're afraid of being pigeon-holed, but I don't necessarily buy that. I think that if those people--whoever they are--see that really amazing things can be created and are allowed to do them without fear of being too uncommercial or too gay-specific, then we can have better gay networks.
Is it that difficult to do a miniseries of The City & The Pillar, people? Seriously.
Where did gay sensiblity get lost in the rush to get gay content?
We need more than just the coming-out stories and the AIDS tragedy stories. We need quirkiness, irony, sarcasm, and "popcorn" that is more than just bland, vacant looking twinks wandering around in briefs. Comrades, we need to show the wit and smirks that fuel the creativity.
You know who I think gets this, is Stephen Macias of here Networks, who wrote a blistering and truth telling response to GLAAD (lead by I-got-mine Log Cabinette Neil Giuliano, FYI) , which you can read in full--bizarrely enough--over at The Blade. I just want to highlight one of his bullet points that applies not just to GLAAD's shameful ignorance but to the power of good, quality gay media in general:
Inspiring closeted gay Americans to come out and be themselves is one of the most important results that fair, accurate, and inclusive media can have on American culture. While you can legislate equal protection under the law, it is television that has the ability to change the hearts and minds of all people, including gays and lesbians. Gay television now comes into the homes of millions of Americans with programming that not only entertains, but also inspires and gives people confidence to come out of the closet, be themselves and lend their proud voice to change. Seeing themselves and their stories being told on screen is a powerful and is helping to change lives across America.
You tell 'em.
No comments:
Post a Comment