Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The New Season: NBC

There is some poetic justice in that one of the most omnipresent networks (mostly due to takeovers as opposed to actual creation) has been pretty much getting its rear end kicked by the former underdogs ABC & CBS. (Speaking of which, only last decade ABC was considered the inoffensive network and CBS the channel for the elderly.)

Now that I've taken my pleasure in ruffling the peacock's feathers, I have to admit something: NBC's new crop is probably the best out there. That said, that's more an indictment of the overall quality of the Freshmen shows for 2008-09 rather than an endorsement of NBC.

Either way, let's get on with it:

  • America's Toughest Jobs: It's already premiered, and I have to wonder why NBC would think that someone who hasn't seen the same type of "look at my job! Isn't it difficult? Isn't it dirty? Isn't it dangerous?" show on A&E/Discovery/National Geographic would be interested? So, in true NBC style, they turn it into a competition. Perhaps they are taking a gamble here, but the faith they seem to have in it must be minimal for it to premiere before Labor Day. Doubt we'll see it next year unless it's really cheap to produce.
  • Knight Rider: Give the Peacock credit, they are at least resurrecting their own show as opposed to the CW which brings an old FOX show back to life tonight. That said, the new Knight Rider movie did well, so it makes sense to see if the same audience that watched that will do the same. The creator managed to keep the inanity that was Las Vegas on air for much longer than need be, so this might limp its way into next year. Personally, I doubt it. Would the American public be all that interested in watching a car speeding every week, given the cost of gas? Would NBC be all that interested in paying for that to boot?
  • Kath & Kim: The fiance--who is Australian and a fan of the show--has very low expectations for this sitcom (which was originally Australian). Conversely, I think it will do well, and I also think it will be quite successful. When I first saw the original show on the late, lamented Trio network (oddly enough, gobbled by NBC and then obliterated), I couldn't understand a word the characters were saying--with captions! NBC's version does appear to keep the same spirit, which is about a spoiled mother-daughter duo with little common sense and lots of self-absorption. One thing NBC does well is nuture offbeat sitcoms. I reckon it'll get through the season with little trouble.
  • My Own Worst Enemy: Christian Slater tries to become relevant again by playing a man who lives a double life and apparently doesn't know about it. It's The Three Faces of Eve meets James Bond. It'll get some of the Heroes crowd, but seems too complex for its own good. In fact, it probably should've gotten the mini-series treatment first. Just might make it, but I doubt it.
  • Crusoe: Hands up if you heard about NBC doing a series adaptation of Robinson Crusoe. Anyone? Not even a peep? Good, I'm not alone (no pun intended). If this was a miniseries, I'd understand it, but the NBC website propaganda seems to indicate otherwise, and that seems like a very silly risk the peacock is taking. They might try to drum up the similarities to Lost, but this is classic literature we're talking about here. It may be classic potboiler literature, but it is classic nonetheless. The peacock will get the accolades for showing classics to the masses, and then quietly dump any remaining episodes on Bravo. "Watch what happens," indeed.
I say Kath & Kim makes it to next season with either Knight Rider or My Own Worst Enemy (not both) joining it, based on who gets the higher ratings on their USA Network repeats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i saw a commercial for kath & kim (the u.s. remake) and it looks pretty good. the show will also be helped along by molly shannon, a very talented comedic actress who plays the mother. besides, nbc has managed not to screw up the office (taken from ricky gervais). so, perhaps nbc knows how to preserve the best of imported material while adding elements that appeal to american audiences? here's hoping.