Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday Jukebox Is A Rising God From the East

This is a jukebox I have probably put off doing for quite sometime.

Why?

Well, once you start talking about boybands, particularly a certain Korean boyband who inspire "anti-fans" to poison members of it with super glue...I'm just saying this band taps into a certain level of obsessiveness. (And given the amount of hits this corner of the internet receives from people desperately trying to figure out whether Mike Woods is gay...)

Nonetheless, I'm going to bravely enter the world of Dong Bang Shin Ki. (SQUEEEEEE!!!!)

First off, Tri-Angle, which actually works even though it's a combination of the gods of the East, KPop princess BoA (who will be debuting in the US this year), and KRockers The Trax.





Skipping ahead to Rising Sun, which seems to me like the video is given more gravitas than is really needed.






However when it comes over-the-top self-importance, nothing compares to the lads' O Jung Ban Hap. I've never heard of an anti-war anthem having several dance breaks.





That same album about world peace and peaceful resistance featured the almost sickeningly sweet Balloons (which is an argument for us all developing Peter Pan Syndrome, in my view). The song is very catchy if you close your eyes, but the second you look at the video--BAM!--instant toothache.






Now the gods, being gods, figured that singing only in Korean could be limiting, so they branched out to Japan in 2005. Their original Japanese output is considered more "mature," but there's still all the SQUEEEEEEE!!! so who can tell? It is catchier and slicker I'd say. Here they are performing the songs ZION (a non-reggae reference to Zion, believe it or not) and Choosey Lover (sic) in 2007.





Being gods, they're also wise to go into full-tilt bubblegum pop sector of Japanese pop music as their smash Summer Dream proves.





This year, they began the year with the song Purple Line, which while catchy as hell, makes no sense in either Korean or Japanese. (Then again, neither does Fergie's London Bridge and that's all in English.)










Later this month, the gods release their 4th Korean language album entitled MIROTIC. I am dying to find out what the meaning behind that title is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that whole anti-fan incident is pretty freaky. i mean, sure, they're a lousy boy band, but just change the radio station if you're that disgusted by them.

Hikaru said...

I shudder to imagine what she'd do to a radio.

Anonymous said...

Well speaking of Mike Woods is he Gay? Is he a top or bottom or maybe versatile? Have you had him?

Hikaru said...

Yes, he is.

As for the answers to #2 & #3: I'm engaged.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Hikaru! Well, is he at least single? I hope I didnt come off too strong :o) in my previous comment. Just curious? (well Gay) but you know what i mean.