Sunday, December 21, 2008

Quick Rave: KJ Denhert

We tend to be mostly about foreign music at this corner of the internet: Korean House, Italian electro-clash, German rap, whatever shape Eurovision takes in a given year. So let's switch gears for a moment and talk about *GASP* American music and artists.


KJ Denhert describes her music as Urban Folk & Jazz, which is a fusion I have never heard before, and apparently is not one I've really come across in other artists. She sounds somewhat like a cross between Sade (a Sade that allows herself to be happy) and Swing Out Sister with lyrical oomph. 

Her latest release is a live recording from the Umbria Jazz festival, where she opened for Alicia Keys. (Controversal opinion: I personally find Denhert more accessible than Keys, not to knock Ms. Alicia, but lyrically I get Denhert's easier.) One of the strongest tracks on it is actually the opener (intro aside), I Got Time which becomes rather poignant after a rousing start. Fortunately, the album keeps the momentum going. Hearing her sing He's Not Coming Home live has a certain punch to it for me. (The song itself has strong meanings to me recently with the whole move to Australia.) 

You can buy Dal Vivo a Umbria Jazz and Lucky 7 (her latest studio album) here. (She runs her own label, so I'll do my bit to steer traffc her way.)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you mostly cover "foreign" music, then perhaps you'll start to write about more american music after you move to australia. but maybe you meant "foreign" to mean "non-u.s."

Hikaru said...

Actually, your first guess is correct.

Sadly, Australia media (from what I've read so far) doesn't do much to promote local talent.

Anonymous said...

too bad aussie media doesn't promote local talent. clearly, australia is capable of producing popular music. after all, it gave the world olivia newton-john, men at work, midnight oil and inxs.