Thursday, December 04, 2008

Something is Foul in the Kingdom of Burgers

I'm not one of those creeped out by the plastic permagrinned Burger King.

I just find it daft.

I'm not disturbed by the Simon & Garfunkel knockoffs singing the praises of a [Mu]shroom & Swiss burger.

I just find it daft.

And now with its latest crop of ads, the marketing department at Burger King may have crossed the line, according to some.

I have seen one of these ads only one time, and none since. My impression of it was that was--unsurprisingly--daft.

I also have to agree with the critics, it is rather insensitive.

That said, the devil's advocate in me would point out that "dumb humour" is Burger King's current shtick. McDonald's is family friendly, Wendy's appeals to your thrifty side, and White Castle (because it already has the image of being so cheap, that it's low quality) appeals to your primal instinct.

Nonetheless, you have to wonder at what point ad execs will realise that annoyance marketing will come back and bite them on their overpaid, C student butts.

Two things worth noting:

  1. Burger King's Australian operation, Hungry Jack's appears not to have taken on this new theme of ads.
  2. My own informal survey of fast food menus shows that Burger King's menu on the whole is the most calorie laden of the lot. (I love this new law in New York City that mandates that calories be displayed prominently.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoever is complaining about those burger king ads is just stupid.