The Democratic primary is tomorrow, and I think I finally have an idea who I'm voting for. I absolutely hate being undecided, but at least I got it together late.
So here's my slate:
- Mayor: Ferrer. I was on the fence with Weiner, but his performance in the debate swung me. Based on the polls, it's looking like a Ferrer-Weiner runoff, and I'm still going to vote for Ferrer in that, unless he screws up majorly.
- Manhattan Borough President: Ellner. I had waffled on this for ages, but like Ferrer, it just took one issue to put me in his camp. He's for a London-style commuter tax in Manhattan. Amen! Yes, the "emperor has no clothes" ads are cute, ditto the "this is my partner" (has everybody forgotten that Margarita Lopez is running as well?), but if he does actually manage to follow through on the commuter tax, I'll be happy. Will he win? It'll be close, but I'll be quite content with Stringer.
- Manhattan District Attorney: Snyder. I'm sorry, but we need a new DA. Morgy has been in charge since 1975! This is Manhattan, New York, not Manhattan, Kansas, nobody should be in power that long. (I even bet Manhattan, Kansas has had several DAs since Morgy has been in office.) In respect to her stance in favour of the death penalty, I'm sort of really indifferent. The fact of the matter is that the death penalty is on the books in New York State, so why not use it, if you use it exclusively for seriously heinous crimes? I don't get the sense that she's going to turn New York into Texas. If the death penalty gets repealed, then so be it. I still think Morgy has been in office too long.
- Public Advocate: Rasiej. Can't pronounce his name, but he seems pretty wry and wise in his campaign literature. I'm indifferent on this race, but I'm going for Rasiej, simply because I haven't read a peep out of Gottbaum.
Now switching gears entirely, my throat is extremely sore, and I'm taking it as a sign that I shouldn't be the cute li'l capitalist for awhile. (The guilt over these business deals will be around for a long time.) I don't really have discomfort speaking, inasmuch as drinking and eating, but it's got me thinking about my voice in general.
It is very unlikely you'll ever see a podcast on here (though TrunkGuy's are excellent), for one main reason. My voice is very breathy. You would think smoking for 7 years would change it, but it hasn't. When I was at college, we had a radio class and the teacher told me that I would need to pitch lower in order to "come across" on the radio. Essentially what she was saying is that my voice is suited for phone sex. And while I'm all for porn, I've seen Girl 6, no thank you. So I try to keep my recorded voice out of circulation.
A sidenote: I've added Bougie Black Boy to my blogroll--I hope he doesn't mind. The man is extremely insightful, hilarious, and like the brother I never had growing up.
1 comment:
I have a very strong southern accent so I highly doubt I'll be doing any voice blogging anytime soon. Who knows though. Perhaps one day I'll sign off a post with a "Ya'll come back now ya hear?"
I'd definitely be interested in hearing your smokey voice any time you want to post it ;-)
Post a Comment