Sunday, December 25, 2005

Silence Is Golden

Honestly, very little to add on this Christmas Eve except that I learned something very interesting today. My mother & I sat down to watch Reflections in a Golden Eye*--because nothing says familial bonding like watching Marlon Brando deal with his closetness while Robert Forester rides a horse naked.
*Spoiler there, in case you're curious

The film was indeed a bomb when released, but irregardless it was gripping as hell. Mostly because it relied heavily on subtext and looks. Elizabeth Taylor & Marlon Brando in the same film and Brando has all of maybe 20 lines, most likely less. Yet, you can't escape him, he's omnipresent. This was an epiphany for me. I'm a big believer in talkative characters, and I started to think if Brando talked anymore than he did, his character would not have the same impact. To the writers out there, this is something worth thinking about.

No comments: