Sunday, May 03, 2009

TV Show Deathmatch 2009

Yesterday, the Daily News's David Hinckley gave his picks for which shows should make it to next season, and which ones shouldn't. I agree with many of his picks, particularly in respect to keeping The Unusuals, Better Off Ted, Everybody Hates Chris, and Castle. I'd also add on a few more.

Save:
  • Ghost Whisperer: The only disagreement I have with Hinckley, who called it pass its freshness date. I think it's got one more season in it. Killing off and "resurrecting" Jim (David Conrad) has livened up his character beyond the mere sympathetic husband archetype. That said, I just get the feeling that Conrad wants to switch from regular to recurring. The addition of Jamie Kennedy has also helped the show, mostly because you don't get the same potential love triangle setup they were trying to do with Jay Mohr's professor.
  • The Game: I stumbled across The Game when BET started airing episodes midday, and I think it's got a very good premise. The only problem is that over 3 seasons now, the show still feels like its trying to find its direction. The writers keep bringing together and breaking apart the central couple of Melanie & Derwin, and putting the focus on their relative immaturity. This may be what it's like in the real world, but for a primetime sitcom, it just drags. I also think that they are ignoring real comedic skills with the supporting cast (especially Wendy Raquel Robinson and Coby Bell). According this article, the creator is considering saving the show by turning it into an hourlong comedy-drama (The CW is apparently trying to make their whole slate of shows hourlong dramas). I don't think this is a good idea on The CW's part nor on [creator]Mara Brock Akil's. I'd suggest focusing more on the comedic side and leaving it as is, just to have some genre diversity on The CW. If that's not possible, I'd try to move it to BET for one or two more seasons.
  • Without A Trace: CBS has basically created a Cold Case vs. Without A Trace situation due to the economic climate. I'd rather both stayed, but if there has to be a cut, I vote Without A Trace, which has one of the best casts on television, and manages to have a procedural show with actual character depth and back story.
  • Fringe: It seems like the show is actually getting somewhere (as opposed to the early episodes where it was more shock and awe as opposed to story), and I think it deserves another season. I do think though that the premise might not last more than one or two more seasons.

Axe

  • Cold Case: Some people like those ending montages, but I'm not one of them. I think the show needs to get a touch grittier and less PG, more PG-13. It airs at 9 pm (ET), you don't have to be that wholesome. (Though again, I'd rather see it survive, but not at the expense of Without A Trace.)
  • Gary Unmarried: Just basically a poor retread of Everybody Loves Raymond.
  • The majority of NBC's programming: I don't know what they're doing at the Peacock, but the Law & Order family is about all they've got going for them these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

apparently, there's a lot of television that i'm not watching.