First and foremost, I have to say I love Desperate Housewives. (Yes, I mean love and not like.) It has great writing, a delightful camp sensibility (courtesy of Marc Cherry who is gay, and a Log Cabin member...but I can look past that for purposes of this post), and very talented cast.
My problem with the show is that it seems to have taken over every single bar in Chelsea. Tonight, I was looking for a place where I could have a drink or two for a bit before coming back to the apartment for a night. I wind up choosing XES, because: a) Splash is 18+ (I'm getting old, people, I don't want a bunch of fresh-out-of-the-closet NYU students reminding me of this fact) and showing Desperate Housewives; b) The View is showing Desperate Housewives; and c) XES is really close by.
Guess what? XES starts showing Desperate Housewives. No notice on the front door, no fanfare, just BAM 9 PM the show is on. I am pissed, because when I go out, I do not want to watch a TV show that I could easily (and probably will) watch at home. I'm also irked because prior to this I had been in the middle of a nice conversation with this guy who is a minority from the lilly-white suburbs like I am. This guy has never seen the show, so I wind up running commentary for him in order to catch him up. (He liked it.)
What was really strange about the show coming on, is that the whole bar fell silent. I mean, dead silent, not a single non-television based noise was coming out of anyone or anything. It was bizarre and a little bit "pod people" like. This begs the question to anyone out there who would know: Was it like this in 1980's with Dynasty or even in the 1990's with Melrose Place?
Inquiring minds ponder.
No comments:
Post a Comment