Thursday, April 14, 2005

Yep, we're weird

Apparently the national press is getting a kick out of the proposed Wisconsin law to shoot stray cats. Here's where I come down on it. While I do remember seeing the occasional cat come a-wandering through our backyard when I was growing up and on times that I've visited, I never would consider it a problem or a plague. I mean, I saw more deer than I did cats! If it weren't for the fact that--at least in Mequon--it would be asking for unintentional [human] homicide to shoot deer in the suburbs, then I'd be all for hunting parties. Not for feral cats though.

Of course, what's omitted here is that Wisconsin as a whole is full of crazy people. Not just serial killers (Ed "the inspiration for Psycho" Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer to name a few), but just in general crazy people. These are the kind of people who think nothing of sticking a piece of styrofoam on their head that is shaped like a piece of cheese. This is the state that while it yielded Tammy Baldwin and that cute Log Cabin guy with the Norwegian name from up North, but also yielded Tommy Thompson and Joe McCarthy. We're passive-aggressively bitchy (as evidenced from the local and state elections--"I'm not saying X is a liar, but..."), but we're also pleasantly quirky. (An example: Milwaukee had absolutely no qualms hosting the US Communist Party National Convention in 2004.)

So yes, America, it is not bizarre that this stretch of land--a refuge for the outcasts from Minnesota and Illinois, if you will--would have a bill giving the right to hunt down feral cats. It will never in a million years pass, but they'll at least vote on it.

No comments: