Thursday, May 14, 2009

Eurovision 2009: Day/Night Two The Review Preshow

Fears of watching the show online have been solved! I am watching Russian coverage courtesy of Channel 1's Worldwide network (C1R worldwide)

Unfortunately my Russian is minimal to nonexistant*, so I won't be getting much help from the commentator. 

* I barely recall any of my Beginner's Ukrainian either, so language family help won't be happening either.

Onto who I'm hoping gets saved:
  • Latvia (traffic issues as a metaphor for love in the modern world with a late 80s progressive rock feel...it's like nectar to me)
  • Hungary (eye candy with a good song, he ought to be able to walk it)
  • Greece (see Hungary, plus C1R's news report featured rehearsal clips from it liberally)
  • Estonia (they will need all the help they can, given their place between Ukraine and the Netherlands)
  • The Netherlands (again, unlikely that they'll need it but I can see NL being at the tipping point between making it in comfortably and needing a jury save)
  • Ireland (just so that we don't have to risk the Irish voting public thinking that 1980s-90s dreary ballads are the only dead certs for them)  
As campy and over-the-top as Anti-Crisis Girl** is (both musically and visually), I think Svetty & Co. are getting through even though the staging is even more OTT than Illusion. As I see it, Ukraine has been working since 2003 to send the most elaborate number in Eurovision history without turning off voters (because you just know the juries are not interested in saving big stage shows).

**Great way to cover up the fact that the song must have been written with the Ukrainian final back in February in mind as opposed to the Eurosong in May.

That said, the Ukrainian run of top 3 placings at the final will end this year. 

And now to close out the preshow here's Shingo Katori...in drag...with James Brown (approximately 2 minutes in)

 


I start talking about Ukraine and all of a sudden I think about over the top kitschy songs and performances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a deliciously ott video.