Monday, January 17, 2005

Ein Jeer und Ein Cheer for TV hosts

Every Sunday morning I watch two shows back to back without fail: CBS Sunday Morning and Great Hotels on The Travel Channel. Obvious subject matter differences aside (is it fair to judge an Arts show against a travel show? I'm saying yes.), the show's hosts are like night and day.

Charles Osgood (Sunday Morning): This man just cannot get it together in my view. For starters, he ends each broadcast with "I'll see you on the radio." I'm pretty much willing to assume he means it as a joke, but WHY? (Don't even get me started with his "twenty-oh-five" pronounciation for the year 2005.) I'd be willing to bet he's quite the affable man in person, but he just seems so awkward. I know Charles Kuralt isn't coming back (barring some new technology that can raise the dead), but jiminy Osgood, cut loose for a bit. We'll love you for it.

Samantha Brown (Great Hotels and a myriad of other Travel Channel shows): Charles, take note. She's quirky, informative, lightly critical, and not willing to take herself too seriously onscreen. I have major respect for someone who doesn't come across as fawning over her destination. An example: If the room is small, she'll call it small. Small doesn't equal horrid, but listen, if it's tiny, then call a spade a spade. Major respect for her for that.

In a perfect world, I'd have a presenting job on a show that combines travel and arts. (I certainly don't want to sit around my apartment being a hermetic playwright all day.) Of course, I don't think I'd be able to hold tongue so easily. I have been known to do the Bette Davis thing of walking into a room and saying "What a dump!" Usually followed by "This &(&**#(( isn't worth $200 a night! Who are they kidding?" Et tu, New York hotels. Et tu.

No comments: