Sunday, January 23, 2005

National Weather Service: Sadists?

Last night, while chatting online with a good friend of mine, we brought up the subject of the alerts by the National Weather Service. See, I've got WNBC's weatherbug on my computer and the sodding thing keeps on chirping whenever there's an alert. I am fine with that, except that the National Weather Service seems to issue alerts like mad. The asinine thing is that all the alerts seem to do is confirm what they said in the previous alert. I fully understand the need to have a warning system in place, but haven't these people heard of "The Boy Who Cried 'Wolf'?"

Considering that they claim not to want to cause panic, the NWS should learn to tone down their messages to a less-neurotic level. Here's the tail end of the Blizzard warning for the New York area: "This Is A Life-Threatening Winter Weather Situation! Preparations To Protect Life And Property Should Be Made By Noon Today!" Ease off the meth, people.

No comments: