Saturday, June 25, 2005

A little self-indulgent fantasy


I like think of myself as basically an urbanite to the core, but to be honest with all of you, that's not always the case.

Sometimes, I think that life as a house husband in a small or medium town would be absolutely perfect. I'd wake up in the morning, fix (or in my case assemble and microwave) breakfast for my husband and child, kiss my husband goodbye, and drive our child to school.


I would do some cleaning around the house, but nothing heavy duty, we'd save that for the weekly cleaning service. (Hey, I'm inept in that department and know my strengths.) The majority of my days would be spent writing, gossiping with the mixed gay and straight neighbours, and watching the occasional soap opera (or two).

Come afternoon, I'd pick up the child and be a doting parent. The husband would come home, and we'd have dinner (either fast food or frozen dinner--Listen, in my fantasy world, I don't slave over a stove) together. Conversations would be peppered with world, national, and local politics, pop culture, and in several languages with swearing limited to Japanese for not-in-front-of-the-child subjects.

Once or twice a week, the husband & I would go out to a few of the local gay bars. Babysitting would be taken care of by the kind neighbours next door, with a tit-for-tat arrangement.

Jeez, I think I want to be some sort of gay male Bree Van de Kamp.

I doubt life will lead me in this direction, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the life of many gays and lesbians. This makes me just as proud as any of the A-List Manhattan & Beverly Hills supercouples you see in Out. I wish that any gay man or lesbian out there could have this vision or any other sort of dream life they want and not have the need to hide themselves.

The fact that we're still working towards a future where who you love or desire isn't an impediment gives us strength, resolve, and indeed pride in our tenacity. The fact that we've come so far is something to be proud of. The fact that we are who we are is something to be proud of and to celebrate--not just on the last Sunday in June, but every day.

Happy Pride Weekend.

No comments: