Friday, October 14, 2005

I Have A Funny Feeling About This

Since I don't trust this new GLAAD under Giuliano (the article about him in the current Advocate sealed it for me--I have trouble believing that a man who highlights his hair, looks like he's about to go to The White Party, and is a Republican to boot cares anybody's interests barring his own), I'm going to be watching next week's Law & Order: SVU very closely.

The subject matter: the new superstrain of HIV and meth addiction.

Now these Law & Order shows make no bones about being "ripped from the headlines," but at the same time the trailer that was shown for it just left me with a slightly uneasy feeling. It just seems like exploitation. Having read about and seen in action many television writers, I always suspect the worst out of them and am always surprised when they don't. It's a very alpha male environment.

Yet the show does have out actor B.D. Wong who I would hope would be able to call the writers on any virulent homophobia. Plus, this particular episode's subject matter is something that should be talked about more. However, just like you wouldn't ask Phil Gramm to lecture about affirmative action, nor should you trust the many quasi-frat boys of television writing to do more than just sketch out gay characters. Quite frankly, we need more representation in that area.

Still, like Charity Valentine, I remain "hopefully ever after."

Periodically, I'm going to start writing about the new fall season. If you're curious as to why I'm starting so late, it's because I think it's best to always wait until the axes start falling (RIP Head Cases, Just Legal, Love, Sex & Secrets, and Inconceivable).

I have to say that FOX has gotten more of my evenings this season with Kitchen Confidential, Bones, House (not technically new), Reunion, and Killer Instinct. Of this group, Killer Instinct is real weak link. It seems like the creators brought out all cliches and no twists on them with the main character. You know the type: gruff, monosyllabic, no discernable relationship, mildly sociopathic.

Of course it could be that Johnny Messner just isn't that good of an actor. Good to look at, but nothing beyond that.

No comments: