I don't know if there is a real "turn your cell phone off" day, but I'm declaring today just that.
Walking down the street or even at the gym, it just seems increasingly apparent that a significant portion of US society seems to be deathly afraid of talking to people face-to-face. Somehow, it's more comfortable dealing with a disembodied voice than with the person in front of them. It makes you wonder where this could lead to...children raised by parents who never see them...spouses who only relate to each other when they aren't visible...a society afraid of contact.
I know The Jetsons and science foction gave us a glimpse of a world where we all regualrly talk to each other on little mini-video screens, but cellphone cameras aside, I think the cellphone is in danger of making us quite frankly social retards. (Cane described this perfectly in a recent post.)
Today, go live in the present, and I mean just what is around you. The office can wait. Your friends can wait. If you do get a call, make it under a minute.
Go ahead and delve into the scary world of eye contact.
2 comments:
I think ole boy in the White House would need to declare a state of emergency before people think about turning their mobiles off, even for a minute.
Wonderful thought.......
We're about to see an entire generation of people with ear deformity caused by holding a cell phone too closely to the ear (Dr. Spock)!
One of my staff is presently out of work (4 months) due to an automobile accident caused by a driver so preoccupied with his cell phone conversation that he ran a red light and totalled her car. She had to undergo surgery and ocntinues to be in great pain.
Personally, I hate going shopping and having to listen to one way cell phone conversations while I'm trying to decide what the hell I came into the store for!
They now have cell phone jammers and although they are illegal to own in the USA, I am seriously considering purchasing one!
Post a Comment