The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has another article on the Kraynak-Wright case. According to Canadian police (though I couldn't find corroboration on CFCF or the Montreal Gazette, but 365gay.com also mentions this theory) Kraynak & Wright were running from the cab because they were cheating the fare.
While this is plausible, Kraynak's mother doesn't buy it. She says that he must've been threatened.
Personally, I don't know what to believe. On one hand, Kraynak is painted as the proverbial good boy exploited by those evil pornographers. On the other hand, it takes two to tango. How he could have no trouble having sex for a website named Straight Guys for Gay Eyes, but balk at stripping at a gay club? For starters, it would make sense if he had trouble having sex on camera, but no problem with stripping. I sense whitewash, which is partly understandable, because she is his mother and is most likely not wanting to really think about the bluer sides of her son's life.
Again, his actions suggest something that others might not want to fathom: for whatever reason, he went along. Indeed, he was seen performing at Remington's. You go by the actions, not the assumptions.
What gets me though is that the focus is on Kraynak. Kraynak is held up as this tragic figure, but there's nothing about Wright. It's almost as if they are tacitly saying Wright was expendable, but Kraynak--uber-heterosexual ex-military man Kraynak--only he will be truly missed.
In the gay press, this suggests the often unspoken belief that "straight is better." A thought process that is borne out of self-loathing. (Oddly enough, something that I've been accused of.) Not to get too much into this subject, which I could easily go on and on about, but I really think the fetishisation of "straight" men in porn and the mainstream gay media has got to stop. It's just another latch on the closet and in this day and age, that's the last thing we need.
RIP Steve Wright and Mark Kraynak.
No comments:
Post a Comment