Thursday, October 27, 2005

12 on 12: Isaac Hayes's "Walk On By"

  1. No other song so aptly describes love: Pensive, melodical, discordant, tranquil.
  2. It is a measurement of time: 1 full play of Isaac Hayes's "Walk On By" = 12 minutes.
  3. Jesse Jackson called him "bad," meaning good (for proof see Wattstax).
  4. A perfect description of why we never make eye contact anymore.
  5. It really doesn't feel like 12 minutes.
  6. Itching to be turned into a movie opener and closer.
  7. Is one of the backing singers singing "and the man said..." during the breakdown?
  8. All sex should be like Isaac Hayes's "Walk On By;" slow, slow, slow, fast, fast, lightning speed, slow, slow, stop.
  9. Evidence that scientology apparently makes the talented crazy and watered down. When was the last good Isaac Hayes album?
  10. No guitar solo has ever sounded so ominous.
  11. Is it about obsession over someone you can never have or a pledge of undying loyalty?
  12. Imagine what Isaac Hayes circa 1971 would do with "Hit Me Baby One More Time."

2 comments:

Stephen A. Bess said...

Real nice. I own the Wattstax DVD. I love Isaac's performance and the footage of Harlem and Chicago. Yes, music has changed a great deal. This is why I am still musically stuck somewhere between 1960 and 1980. Honorable mention would be the Emotions rendition of "Peace Be Still." It was soul stirring. The Bougie man told me about your spot. I'm glad I stopped in. Peace~

Hikaru said...

Glad to have you as a vistor, Stephen. It seems we agree very strongly with music. VH1 Classic owns me.