If you had seen me on the street yesterday, you wouldn't have had any idea what I was going through.
I was re-evaluating all that had transpired since 2002, and finally beginning to deal with it.
Here's the backstory: Around the time of my father's death I was heavily infatuated with a man that I'll call M. In fact, it would be safe to say that M was the first person outside of my family who I could open up to. He seemed to seek it out, taking a very strong interest in how I viewed the world and what my views were on a myriad of topics, basically interested in knowing my emotional side. This was made all the more interesting because as a horny 22 year old at the time, I was initially more interested in having sex with him than talking about feelings. (Note: we never did have sex.)
Nonetheless, walls broke down and he got in. When my father died, the first person I called after receiving the news was M, who was eerily calm and collected about it. (Granted, I was as well.) No call while I was back in Wisconsin, nor email to see how I'm doing. In fact, M--who lives a bicoastal existence--absented himself for several months. Reappearing on a rainy Spring night to invite me for a post-dinner drink. I gladly went. The conversation was rather unremarkable and we went our separate ways afterwards. Again, no contact for several months until that Summer, when he responded to my email that I would be out in California for a weekend in August.
We attended a classmate's play and afterwards, he shook my hand (6 months ago we were kissing in public, something completely out of character for me) and disappeared again. This time he disappeared for 2 years. Although I wrote a play partially about him and his hot-and-cold stance, I thought I had exorcised the pain that had had wrought. Then in the summer of 2004, he reappeared in of all places the 79th street station on the 1 line. We talked, partly caught up, and the whole time he gave me this look that said "why haven't we spoken in such a long time?" He wanted to see if we could have dinner again and to get in contact with him to arrange a time. I sent an email with my availability and...nothing.
Well, M reappeared again this past Monday. I was making my way from Newark Airport back to Manhattan and he was right next to me on the platform and on the train. We talked, we share a brief laugh, and there was yet another invitation for me to have dinner with him. While I was sitting down at the computer to ostensibly give him my availability, I started wondering.
Why did this man haunt me?
I kept thinking and thinking, and finally it dawned upon me. He was the first person I had ever opened up to on a deeper level. When he disappeared, I interpreted it as a rejection of who I am as a person inside. While M did not cause my previous relationship to fail, I do understand why my ex mentioned that I could be unbelievably cold on occasion. It was self-protection.
M once told me that he had mentioned to a friend of his that "[I] could be great person, if [I] could ever get out of [my] head." At the time, I remember being flattered that at least I was getting mentioned by M. What I've come to realise now, is that in the greater scheme of things, he was saying that I had not opened up to him or to the world at large.
Which is how I found myself wandering around yesterday analysing how that fear of being hurt again had affected my life. It had, in more areas than just in my lovelife. I had never sought to promote my work the way that my colleagues do. I avoided any challenges or opportunities that I didn't have full or at least majority control over.
M had, in my opinion, sought me out as someone to get emotionally intimate with and then disappear as if I was another notch on his bedpost. Had we just slept together after that one chance meeting back in December 2001, then maybe I would've been spared this. Yet, I don't mind it now. Without a doubt, someone with a higher EQ than mine would've come to this conclusion much earlier. Nonetheless, I remember one thing that I have always said when asked to console someone: "Everything that has transpired has lead us to this point, and this is where we are supposed to be."
So a wounded optimistic I will be.
5 comments:
I certainly have no answers, but I am most assuredly appalled by the behavior of M.
You on the other hand always give me cause to pause. Thanks.
STB
M was wrong... beautiful things come out of that head of yours.
tank girl
Thank you both.
Sometimes it seems that we desire what we've never truly had or can never have. The reverse of course also seems to be true.
It sounds like maybe 'M' has some emotional issues of his own that he hasn't exorcised.....
Have a nice weekend
Leone x
It's strange how some people can keep a hold over you and others are so easy to dismiss.
All I can say is that it's his loss for not keeping you close.
Hugs!
Post a Comment