Saturday, March 19, 2005

Lemme Eat Some Humble Pie: Eurovision Errata

Belarussian entrant Angelica Agurash (aka Anna Oxa mk. II) has replaced the camp ballad "Boys & Girls" with the camp dance tune "Love Me Tonight. " This new song is only a minor improvement on the lyrics side, though it suffers from the Russian curse (although the writer of "Love Me Tonight" is Greek, and responsible for the inanity that was "Shake It" last year) of atrocious grammar that could be rectified by adding just a few words. In this particular case the line "It's no sin, it's no crime, that I want you mine." (The song could hold up under the strain of just adding "to be.") All that being said, if Angelica manages an Oxa-style stage show, this could get them out of the wasteland that is this year's semi-final.

Speaking of which, Lebanon has now withdrawn and Tele-Liban will now be hit with the standard penalty as well as probably an extra fine. The reason why seems to be that the Lebanese government doesn't want to air the Israeli entry. (There is a tasteless joke about Israeli entries that could be made here, but I won't go there.) Personally, both entries were pretty much the same in my book, so this raises Israel's chance I reckon. From a political perspective, I frankly can't blame them for withdrawing what with all the Ukraine-style upheaval going on in Lebanon currently. Perhaps they'll get over it by next year and the new government will work to build olive branches across the Levant? Or not.

Finally, I have to eat my words about Monaco's entry "Tout de moi" being bland. It most certainly is not. Heard in its full version with a soaring musical score performed by the Monaco Philharmonic, it's rather stirring. I can only wonder how TMC will stage it in Kiev since orchestras seem to be pariahs these days.

No comments: