Well, I had hoped to watched all of EMA live, but RealPlayer and TV Slovenia's feed seem to suggest that waiting for it to be archived would be the smarter decision. At least I got to see who won: Anžej Dežan with "Plan B."
It's not a bad song, but it's a bit blah, to be honest. Starts out slow and then goes into full out pop overdrive. It's by the same group that came up with "Energy" in 2001.
What salvages it is that Anžej performs it as absolutely, totally over-the-top camp. I'm talking hand waving, hip thrusts, spastic movements, the whole nine yards.
What about Anžej himself? Well, he's definitely male or a pretty good drag king because he's sporting a beard, faux-hawk, and looks pretty hirsute. Think Nick from Project Runway. As I think Nick is very attractive, this is not a bad thing.
I have to mention one very interesting thing though. When Omar Naber announced that Anžej (who I'm really thinking of nicknaming Slovenian Nick or "Slo-Nick" for short) won, the two of them had quite the long embrace. Now, I realise that they were 1st and 2nd on Slovenia's Pop Idol, but that was some embrace. That was the sort of embrace that you give somebody you've slept with (and liked it), or at least want to. I'm not saying they did--because I frankly don't know--but that's what I looked like to me.
After Nuša Derenda in 2001 (Slovenia's answer to Kylie Minogue) , Sestre in 2002 (drag queens-as-flight attendants), and Karmen Stavec in 2003 (bitchy and synthy in pink), and Omar Naber (Robbie Williams goes Balkan), Slo-Nick seems a rather natural progression for Camp Slovenia.
Full review (complete with grumbles over how Alenka Godec and Monika Pučelj got screwed over) as soon as EMA 2006 gets archived.
No comments:
Post a Comment